The dictionary defines an Usher as a doorkeeper who escorts people to seats in a hall, an officer who introduces, strangers/ or walks before a person of rank. This definition barely scratches the surface.
An Usher is a very important officer of the church who serves as the law enforcement agent, an orderly and a caretaker of the Church and all its treasures; material and souls.
The word Usher does not appear in the bible but the following roles in the scriptures define the positions occupied by Ushers in the Body of Christ.
An Usher is thus defined in church by function. As a servant, priest, minister, assistant, aide, doorkeeper, gatekeeper etc. you must become what is desired of you, you must become all things to all men.
- A servant unto God and unto men who helps others succeeds in their ministry (Exodus 17:8- 13, 24:13). When you meet the needs of your Pastor, you make life and ministry easy for him while you also fulfill your own part in implementing the core objective i.e. soul winning.
- A helper who is always available to render assistance to the weak, the needy and to each other (1 Corinthians 12:28).
- A doorkeeper who meets and greets people (Psalms 84:10), He/She is God’s Public Relations Officer and represents the church to every visitor, first-timer and the congregation. He/She is to keep the door, meet the needs of people and welcome them into the presence of the Lord; you only have one opportunity to make a first impression.
- One who maintains order (1 Corinthians 14:40). He/She is expected to maintain order, control movement throughout the service.
- A leader who is in charge of the things in the temple (1 Chronicles 9:19-32). In summary, an Usher is one who spots a gap and fills it/One-who fines a hurt and heals it; one who has a heart ready to serve with willing hands ready feet.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
B. Meeting & greeting the congregation:- the public relations man representing the church to every new visitor
C. Maintaining order (1 Corinthians 14:40, 1 Thess 5:4-15)
D. Taking attendance
E. Receiving, counting & recording offering. 1 Chr.9:26
F. Provision of required information to the congregation.
The roles and responsibilities of an usher could be divided into two broad categories:- spiritual and physical.
The Ushering ministry is a supernatural ministry and contrary to the obvious, it is more spiritual than it is physical. The ministry falls under the ministry of HELPS (1 Corinthians 12:28) and thus must be seen as:
A. Ordained and anointed by God Himself and divinely set in the Church, for a specific need/ Purpose.
B. Important to the smooth running of the ministry or ministration.
C. Entails supernatural empowerment
Physically, an Usher must:
A. Be fit for the job
B. Have an impeccable character within and outside the church.
C. Always be neat and clean – be particular about personal hygiene.
D. Have well groomed and clean hair
E. Wear clothing reflective of Christ, which must always be clean and well ironed.
F. Have fresh breathed at all times. No body odour
G. Wear neat shoes / uniforms no matter how old they are.
H. Pay particular attention to his /her personal health must be fit.
The work of Ushering is enormous, but the Lord who has called us into ministry would always supply the grace to be faithful. The Usher must continually emphasize the spiritual and must not leave out the Physical. He/she must be a faithful servant in the Vineyard and must ensure that he/she is available in the sight of God.
The Almighty God who has called the Usher is more than able to bless him/her as long as he/she pays attention to His words in Proverbs 4:20-27 and 11 Timothy 2:11-15. We must always be ready to adopt to changing circumstances and time frames and anticipate the unexpected. May God bless us all us all in Jesus Name.